Research and Audit Activities
The research team at RPH ICU are Prof Geoff Dobb, Dr Steve Webb, Dr KM Ho and Dr Dave Morgan.
The studies currently undertaken at the Royal Perth Hospital ICU includes:
1. DECRA - DEcompressive CRAniectomy Trial is a multi-centre prospective randomised trial of early decompressive craniectomy in patients with severe traumatic brain injury. Designed to test whether early decompressive craniectomy will improve long-term neurological outcome in patients with severe traumatic brain injury with refractory intracranial hypertension.
2. VALID - Venticute® (rSP-C- Surfactant) is being studied in the VALID trial, a multi-national clinical phase III investigation of mortality reduction in patients withacute lung injury or ARDS associated with severe pneumonia or witnessed aspiration pneumonitis. In addition to clinical outcome data, the trial will collect other information such as quality of life, resource use and associated expense.
3. CAPTIVATE - A Multicenter, phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, three-Arm study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of tifacogin (Recombinant Tissue Factor Pathway Inhibitor) administration in patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia.
4. A20 – A study investigating early markers of sepsis resolution.
5. RENAL - RENAL - Multicentre, unblinded, randomised, controlled trial to assess the effect of augmented vs. normal continuous renal replacement therapy on 90-day all-cause mortality of Intensive Care Unit patients with severe Acute Renal Failure.
6. AKI – A study of factors contributing to acute kidney injury.